So now the monks head off down to Daytona Beach to hang out with young hot chicks and party.
...Ok, I just received word that doesn't happen. I wish someone told me that at the start...
Oh well, Monks still know how to let loose during summer break as these pictures show:

This young monk break-dances to the sound of a Bombastic Moktok!

This monk is getting a tattoo in a local Daytona Beach parlor.
It's a heart with the word "Maya".

Shenanigans abound during break time!
First one to fall asleep gets their head shaved!

This monk is getting a tattoo in a local Daytona Beach parlor.
It's a heart with the word "Maya".

Shenanigans abound during break time!
First one to fall asleep gets their head shaved!
Ok, so I guess none of that stuff really happens...it would be fun though!
I actually have one last piece of business to complete before I can say I am done with this semester. We are asked to write a paper on the Heart Sutra. I was going to turn in a blank sheet and say - "the Heart Sutra teaches us that none of this stuff exists, including this paper I didn't write, it was not written, it has no way to be written, it has no path out of being written..." , but I think that has been tried before.
I am actually really pleased at the end of this semester. I have learned more in the past few months, in detail, then probably the last decade of surface understanding. Not to say I "get it" all, but do really have a much better grasp on the concepts and history of Buddhism. It was also very challenging at times. There were a number of "a-ha" moments for me during this period due to that challenge. This study starts to slowly unravel all of the bullshit we think is real and forces you to look at what is left. It's not easy...
It has pushed my meditation practice in a much different direction for sure. We all start by counting our breath, in and out, pushing away thoughts. Later on, you start to clear that gourd out faster, so more time can be spent in the uncluttered space. Then you start to ask yourself; "Self, who is doing the counting?" And when your smartypants "Self" can't answer anymore, you are left in a pretty interesting place. Hard to put words to - more like using a word to define itself.
Classes start up again in October, and I understand that the second and third semesters are by far the hardest. The first semester was half history and then the second much harder half was the terminology around the concepts and the general structure of understanding and reality.
I plan to continue to update this in the meantime between sun bathing and ginseng-tea-keggers. I do have other things going on at the temple, and a retreat in late July in Toronto I can comment on. I am really looking forward to the retreat - it is all about Temple protocol, ceremony and chanting / moktok playing, etc. Sounds like we plan to visit another large temple while we are there as well, which will be nice. Also, mah Dharma brothers and sistas will be there - the same ones that come out here when we have retreats. Its great getting everyone together. There is a wide range of experience with them all and its great to be around your bald peeps now and again to keep you on your path.
That's it for now - if you need me - check the beach, I'll be the one with the shaved head wearing a speedo and mala.

I actually have one last piece of business to complete before I can say I am done with this semester. We are asked to write a paper on the Heart Sutra. I was going to turn in a blank sheet and say - "the Heart Sutra teaches us that none of this stuff exists, including this paper I didn't write, it was not written, it has no way to be written, it has no path out of being written..." , but I think that has been tried before.
I am actually really pleased at the end of this semester. I have learned more in the past few months, in detail, then probably the last decade of surface understanding. Not to say I "get it" all, but do really have a much better grasp on the concepts and history of Buddhism. It was also very challenging at times. There were a number of "a-ha" moments for me during this period due to that challenge. This study starts to slowly unravel all of the bullshit we think is real and forces you to look at what is left. It's not easy...
It has pushed my meditation practice in a much different direction for sure. We all start by counting our breath, in and out, pushing away thoughts. Later on, you start to clear that gourd out faster, so more time can be spent in the uncluttered space. Then you start to ask yourself; "Self, who is doing the counting?" And when your smartypants "Self" can't answer anymore, you are left in a pretty interesting place. Hard to put words to - more like using a word to define itself.
Classes start up again in October, and I understand that the second and third semesters are by far the hardest. The first semester was half history and then the second much harder half was the terminology around the concepts and the general structure of understanding and reality.
I plan to continue to update this in the meantime between sun bathing and ginseng-tea-keggers. I do have other things going on at the temple, and a retreat in late July in Toronto I can comment on. I am really looking forward to the retreat - it is all about Temple protocol, ceremony and chanting / moktok playing, etc. Sounds like we plan to visit another large temple while we are there as well, which will be nice. Also, mah Dharma brothers and sistas will be there - the same ones that come out here when we have retreats. Its great getting everyone together. There is a wide range of experience with them all and its great to be around your bald peeps now and again to keep you on your path.
That's it for now - if you need me - check the beach, I'll be the one with the shaved head wearing a speedo and mala.


No comments:
Post a Comment