Monday, April 20, 2009

Birth

So - another attempt and starting a blog and maintaining it. I wonder if this will actually take root. I have tried a few times, not being much of a "journal maker", yet I think some may be interested in the current path I find myself walking. Specifically, that of a novice Buddhist seminary student, someone who after many years of scratching the surface itch has decided to get out the back scratcher and really "get in there"...

I was ordained as a Dharmacari last year for the second time (first time I took my precepts was in 2004?). This time was with the Taego Order, a Korean Zen tradition (the second largest in Korea). However, by comparison to the Chogye Order, we have less than half the monks they do. The Taego order is also looked down upon from some traditional monks since the rules are a little different in this order. The biggest (and it is a big one) is that Taego monks can be married. In fact, family is encouraged. It seems to make good sense to me, but apparently not everyone.

We are also a small group in America currently. There are about a dozen people at different levels throughout the country and we are growing, but not really represented well here at this time. Its actually an exciting time to be involved with the group and our teacher Dr. Jongmae Park (Kunsunim - Bishop of the overseas Sangha). The people I meet through our retreats are the very people forming the future of this order in America, shaping it into what ever form it may take.

I will write a new post about the past weekend retreat, but it was a great experience - one of the best so far.

So, with that - here is the first post. Maybe there will be more. Maybe this will be it.

No comments: